Sunday, December 13, 2009

Where do I look when making Eye Contact?

For some reason lately, this question has really been bugging me. I thought to myself about it, then became really self-conscious of it and now I'm just not sure what to do...





I've read different things that say to: choose one eye to look at, look at the bridge of the nose between eyes, look at the eyebrows, etc. etc..





But what place is the best to look at, and looks the most normal from the other persons perspective? I'm worried that if I focus on just one eye, it may look like my eyes aren't centered to the other person, and look weird.





Or that if I look somewhere else on the face, they could tell that I wasn't looking into their eyes, which would look weird to them because my eyes would not be centered or something.





Am I just worrying to much about an issue that doesn't exist? Do your eyes look fine from other peoples perspective no matter where you look? i feel kinda odd asking this, but, its just been bugging me.Where do I look when making Eye Contact?
It is absolutely impossible to look into both a person's eyes when making eye contact.





When making eye contact, so as not to appear as staring, start with one eye and move slowly to the other. If this is uncomfortable for you, look at the bridge of the nose about eye level, as the nose is in the center of the face it makes your eyes look like they are looking directly into the other person's eyes. Looking at the eyebrow area will make it look like you are looking over the other person's head (thereby defeating the point of direct eye contact).





If you don't shift your eyes at least a little bit, it looks like you are staring or that you are a dolt. Look from one eye to the other, moving the shift in gaze slowly, making a minute stop at the bridge of the nose before moving to the next eye. Moving your gaze too quickly makes you look, well, shifty.





Making eye contact does not mean you can't shift your gaze or blink.





Here's lookin' atcha, kid!Where do I look when making Eye Contact?
u look in the eye
It's called eye contact for a reason, you may be over analyzing it.
When you are looking at someone's eyes, unless you are staring, your eyes move around the general vicinity of their eyes looking at either eye every few seconds, or back and forth from one eye to the other.
What an odd question.


Everybody has a dominate eye just like they favor an arm. Most right handed people are right eyed and vise versa.


Try to find their dominate eye and look at that one. It's easier than you think. Practice with a friend - look at one of their eyes while your talking to them and then switch to the other, you'll notice them having to adjust to yours (if they weren't self conscious about it in the beginning). Or do what I do and don't look at them; I always turn an ear towards the speaker.
not the breasts.
I always look in the unibrow section :)
Just choose an eye. It looks most natural - I can tell if someone is looking at my forehead or nose when trying to make eyecontact -it just makes it more awkward.
I know exactly what you are talking about!!!





This is what I do, and I think it works... I look at one eye, but I try to pick the eye closest to me so that it doesn't look like I am looking past the person. Sometimes this doesn't work.





Also, you can sort of feel when it is the wrong I to look at, so then just switch to the other eye.





I think looking in an eye is the right option though... I think people will know if you are not looking in their eyes...





Also, I think this problem is more noticeable when you standing too close to your conversation partner, so try to get some space between the two of you.





Good luck!!!
dude just look in the mirror and you get your answer..





i for one dont focus on a piece I just stare,
lookinto her/his eyes
This is one of those simple things that the more you obsess over it, the harder it becomes to do. You are right, you need to get back to that happy point in time in which you made eye contact as unconsciously as you breathe (no, please, don't start thinking about how you breathe now!)





Instead of thinking about yourself and where to look when you are conversing with someone, the trick is to really LISTEN to what they are saying and then to really RESPOND. Your problem has become that you are only paying attention with half your mind because of focusing on this physical issue of where to look. Instead, practice the art of really listening and really conversing. Hear what the other person is saying, all levels of meaning, note their body language, the inflections of their speech, try to get genuinely interested in the content of what comes out of their mouth.





I can promise you this: When you truly interact, on that intimate conversational level with your fellow human beings, you will forget to worry about eye contact and you will begin to make soul contact which is really what it is all about anyway.
just concentrate somewhere behind them, i have trouble making eye cotact but i think that disguises it :P
eyes
You look into they're eyes and no where else. That shows them you have their attention.
I just smile so that my eyes get chinky and they can't tell where i am looking haha
ummm eyes
The eyes or if youre not comfortable with that, right between the eyes.
wow


why are you complicating such a simple matter?


do you ever tend to notice where people are looking on you


just general eyes area, not eyebrows lol


dont worry so much
you look into a person's eyes not the nose i would think i had something in my nose. that is why it is called eye contact and not eye to nose contact.
the wall when im like doin a speech or somthing i look at the thats behing all the people and try to look aground in class room and look at everone idk
i suppose focusing on one eye might seem weird.





distance and relative heights come to play.





focusing on eyes, nose bridge is fine. theres also something about intensity of gaze. so from time to time, shift focus to a different part of face slightly, say eye brows, and return.
both eyes is most normal. but look away, like behind them every so often so you don't hold the glance too long.
Dude, just pick an eye.. and if it seems you've been staring at that eye for too long, just look away before you say some thing, and then look back at the other eye when you look at her again.


But if you look just under the middle of the eye brawls, and just above the nose, your eyes can actually look at both her eyes at the same time.(but only from a distance of 1 foot 4 inches or more)
I don't think you should worry too much about it because it will make you more aware of what you think you are doing wrong. People tend to look into the eyes and away, not holding a firm stare, but being sociable, as well as looking at the surroundings in view and the face as a whole
I look at one eye then switch to the other then smile :)
I've noticed that most people during the process of several thought processes will go from one eye to the next.


Or if they are seeking an answer from you, they'll look at the bridge of the nose between the eyes. I think it's so they can take in both eyes and eyebrow position.


The eyes tell a lot.


You are making an issue out of nothing. If you aren't self conscious about it, no one else will notice either.


Unless they trying to bust you lying.
Look into the soul
eye contact is something very important in every kind of relatonships..


eye contact is an ilusion that we have to transmit.. is u look at the yes, nose, eyebrows, dont matter.. because thats gonna make the ilusion that ur looking at the person's eyes.. so.. dont worry n look where u feel more confortable..
i usually focus inbetween or i focus on one, blink and switch to the other, this question bothered me for awhile myself until i tried what i just said and it seems to work well for me
switch back and forth between eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin color